Interior Design / PCL Interiors, Photo Credit / Clear Sky Images
Last Sunday marked the close of this years Southern Spring Home and Garden Show in Charlotte, NC. As one of the participating IDS Interior Designers, I must admit, it was crazy fun and admittedly a little stressful at times. Preparing for the installation can be a little daunting as I juggle coordinating all those little things that go into designing a room for a show along with trying to maintain the everyday tasks of the business. Thankfully, somehow it always works itself out.
This is my third time participating in the show. The first time I designed a delightful outdoor veranda, and the second time a fun hang out retreat for tween girls. Both resulted in 1st Place awards (YES, a shameless plug)!
This year I had to participate, not only for the promise of brand exposure, but because each room was to be inspired by a novel of our choosing. My imagination soared instantly! Since my space was designated as a bedroom, I selected The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger as my inspiration for the romantic depiction of how a timeless love parallels a timeless design. There’s a balanced mix of vintage traditional and current modern design elements in the space.
There are several elements introduced that were indirectly inspired by the novel.
1. To represent many meetings by Henry and Claire in the meadow – an introduction of organic materials like the branches, tree bark, fresh flowers and fresh willow branches. I also commissioned an artist to paint a landscape scene on canvas.
2. Torn wallpaper liner on the walls to honor Claire’s craft as a paper sculptor
3. A stack of books covered in wrapping paper serve as a table near the chaise and represent Henry’s profession as a librarian.
4. The clock has no hands because after all, time means nothing when you constantly involuntarily disappear at any given moment.
5. So, I blinged it out with chrome, silver and mercury glass to represent the current time
6. Charles Eastlake chaise and side table represents traveling back in time for a traditional style.
Out of 6 designer rooms, my design received 2nd Place and The People’s Choice Award!
Boulevard Home Furnishings Bazaar provided that adorably stunning french inspired canopy bed. Thanks Cynthia!
Luxurious Silk / Wool combo area rug – can you identify the silhouette of a sexy female body in the rug? Stark Carpet Outlet Tim, you ROCK!
Courtesy of Sally: Fine Italian bedding and linens from DeWoolfson Linens.
Close up of Duvet bedding and paint swatch in PCL Interiors design
A BIG thank you to Joan! Painting and precision wallpaper lining installation Joan’s Designer Wallcoverings
Gotta love Sherwin Williams paint colors Oyster Bay (walls) Retreat (trim work).
Installation and painting of baseboards and crown molding by Eric and Carrie of Shy’s Design and Construction. Trust me, they do way more than this. Contact them for ANY construction needs.
Kim at Crate and Barrel provided the cordial side bar table. Perfect for any style room.
Bronze tone and cut glass pendant light fixture from Lighting and Bulbs Unlimited in Matthews.
Artist Rosalia Weiner of Home Art Designs. Heavenly!!! I commissioned Rosalia for three designs.
1. The love was certainly put into the “L-O-V-E” art on canvas. The branches and bark represent their frequent encounters in Meadow Lark, Claire’s parents backyard.
2. Over the bed is an acrylic painting on canvas, also inspired by Meadow Lark.
3. Most dramatically, on the wall, hand written excerpts from Henry’s love letter to Claire are artfully depicted in Spanish and English on the paper liner.
Thanks to my Jr. Designer Sam Monds, two student designers Raissa Zharoff and Angela Peck and my work room fabricator, Maria Orloff for two custom pillows.
Chrome garden stool from West Elm.
ALL the FRESH fabulous floral arrangements provided by Do A Little Floral in Huntersville, NC.
I certainly hope the images from this room and this great design idea will inspire you to take elements from a novel and recreate them in your favorite room in the house. Have FUN!